Tuesday 3 July 2012

moving house

As a group of people, students have to be, easily, the most nomadic people to occupy housing (legally, or if not legally not bending the rules).

We seem to be bleeding dry the possibility that we can be temporarily footloose, the fact that we can just linger for a year and then spend our next year in a place we've only previously seen for ten minutes. We move in with people we've known for six months, we probably wouldn't have done this if we'd stayed at home, but at home we have much longer friendships, me personally having made most of my friends at school before I came to uni.

The stupid thing is is that it costs us more money to do this. I don't mean pennies more, either. Since I moved two days ago I've been to IKEA with my housemates and not only did it cost me £11, it also cost me my masculinity. I found myself saying 'I like that bathmat, but I don't think it'll go well enough with the shower curtain.' I admitted from that moment that I was taking metrosexuality just that bit too far, and that I needed to take stock of my life.

So basically, if I can conclude anything from this irrelevant rambling, it is this. Students really need to think about their decision to move, and whether or not they care about expense being spared.

It's not just financial.


No comments:

Post a Comment